Weeeell… it’s been a while since I posted on you craft blog. Soz.
I guess it’s been a while since I did anything new?! I have also been a bit busy and tired, what with toddler and bump. But anyway, enough of that!
I am here to share my latest cake… which I soooooo enjoyed doing! I was gutted to not have made a cake for my husband’s last birthday (morning sickness = boo!), and so have been waiting ages for another chance to make a good FUN cake!
And here it is! The photos aren’t great I’m sorry to say. I think I have some more of the finished article on my proper camera, but I don’t know what leads I need to plug it into the mac, or where to find them, SO, you’ll have to make do with iphone photos instead!
My Mum kindly made the actual cake base for me, so that I could make other party food before the day and not have to worry about the cake. We went with banana and chic-chip cake (as we all know, minions love bananas!), and chocolate cake. It ended up as three normal cakes, and then this funny cone shaped one which I carved down slightly to make Minion’s head flatter.
Here is the crumb-coated naked minion:
This then stayed in the fridge a couple of days until I iced it on his birthday morning. I had been umming and ahhing as to whether I should do the base fondant the day before, but wasn’t sure if it would sweat. More about that later…!
I bought shop fondant, as I wasn’t about to mess around on the morning with marshmallow fondant, but obviously that would have tasted nicer! So, head of minion covered. I had a little trouble rolling the fondant out big enough to cover down to his dungarees! And as you can see, it’s a bit of an awkward shape, so some gathering occurred. It actually seems accentuated in the photo for some reason! I also made the hole for his party blower at this point so that the fondant wouldn’t rip later on.
Next, on to the dungarees. I did the back first, then the front. My only problem was the lining up on the front ones to the back, I probably should have measured a bit more accurately than I did! I added a pocket, and some stitching detail with one of these sugar-flower making tools my mum got me last year. I haven’t the foggiest what it’s called ;-)
I kind of have a lack of photos here, as I was a little too sugary and engrossed to stop and take photos each time! But basically, the blue and yellow fondant were the only ones I bought pre-coloured. For the details of the eye, goggle, hair and hands I got some white flower-making fondant. It was a little firmer and dried a bit faster than the regular fondant.
So for the eye: I cut out a disk of white with a biscuit cutter. I decided I wanted to paint the eye on, as I wanted to capture the streaky look the minions have. I mixed a little gel colour with vodka to paint with, which worked great. After painting the brown I stuck the eye on straight away with edible glue, as I didn’t want it to dry flat or it wouldn’t have fit to the curve of the minion body. I painted the pupil later when the iris was dry, again using colour and vodka.
For the goggle: For the bit that goes around the eye I rolled a piece of super thick fondant, and cut the inside with the same cutter as the eye, then the outside with a cutter one size bigger. I painted it with silver dust… usually this is used for brushing on dry, but if you mix it with vodka you get a glittery paint. Again, I stuck this straight on, whilst wet (very, very carefully!), with a little edible glue, and then painted touch ups where my fingers has smudged the silver.
For the goggle band: I cut two long strips, then painted the edges of them whilst on the work surface. I then stuck them on with edible glue, then painted the top. This meant I got the least amount of black possible on my fingers… once you start getting colours everywhere it somehow SPREADS!
I decided to paint on the black rather than mixing it into the fondant because I wanted it to be a powerful black rather than grey. At this point the base fondant was sweating a LOT, even though it wasn’t that hot in my kitchen. I was still unsure as to whether or not I should stick it in the fridge because of things I had read, but in the end after I had finished the whole thing I did pop it in the fridge (mainly because the logo I painted on his pocket started running!), and it firmed it up brilliantly. Lesson learned: put cake in fridge or your lovely logo will be ruined! Darn!
The Hair was fondant moulded into shapes with cocktail sticks stuck into them. Again I painted it black… held onto the cocktail stick and painted the bottom, then stuck them in and painted the tops. The buttons on his dungarees as just painted on as well.
His arms are just a sausage that I stuck into the gloves with cocktails sticks. The sticks kept them sturdy enough that I could just plop them next to the cake and lightly push it onto the side of the minion.
Lastly I added the little rivets to the side of his goggles, and the blower.
So there we have it! Peej’s minion cake! Things I learned through making this cake:
- Vodka is amazing. It works great for painting (Don’t use water! It will melt the sugar and ruin the look of your fondant), and also if you happen to smudge a little colour on the main part of your fondant, just stick a bit on a clean paint brush and wipe it off like you’re using a rubber.
- Put the cake in the fridge!
- I am a little too pernickety. It took me around 5 or 6 hours!
Also in the minion theme were his invitations:
And some cups!
And I have to say, the best part was the fact that he actually recognised what they were all meant to be and got excited. Yay! That is totally a result in my book!